We were really in the mood to make some apple cupcakes. And there’s nothing yummier than apple crumble, so we decided to turn that into cupcakes. Mission accomplished!
What we really like about these cupcakes is that they are so customizable. If you don’t like something, you can easily take it out. Want them spicier? Just add some more. You could swap the sugar for brown sugar, if you wanted. Very yummy indeed!
1 ½ apples (if they are large apples! If they are small, use 2/3 apples. You need enough to make 1 cup of apple mush)
2 cups flour
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup oil
¼ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
Oatmeal to sprinkle on top
1. Rinse, core, and put apples on a pan or baking sheet until they are soft (about half an hour or forty-five minutes). We cut ours into quarters, but next time we’re going to try smaller pieces and take of the peels, so it takes less time. We also sprinkled extra cinnamon on them before baking. Also, don’t forget to add a bit of water to the bottom of the pan so the apples don’t dry up too much.
2. Once apples are soft, remove them from the oven and let cool a bit. Then peel and mush the apple with a fork. Set aside one cup of mushy apple.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
4. Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
5. Beat eggs. Add oil, lemon juice, vanilla, and apple mush and mix together.
6. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
7. Fill cupcake liners about ¾ full. Sprinkle oatmeal on top.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes (or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean)
Try them warm with ice cream, like regular apple crumble.